Thursday, November 14, 2013

You're Invited! Thursday, December, 12th at Knollwood

WESTCHESTER PUTNAM ROCKLAND COUNSELING ASSOCIATION

"Speaking Out for Autism and Asperger’s"
Dr. Christine O’Rourke-Lang, PH.D., BCDA-D
and Alex Olinkiewicz

WHEN:
Thursday, December, 12th
TIME:
Registration 3:30pm—4:00pm
Program & Dinner 4:00pm—7:00pm

WHERE:
200 Knollwood Road Extension
Elmsford, NY 10523

* Sponsored by University of Alabama *
ADMISSION:
Current WPRCA Members: FREE
Non-WPRCA Members: Event Fee $25
Become a WPRCA Member for only $30/year!

RSVP by Tuesday, December 3rd
(914) 831-0455


Teaching and Expanding Social Skills: A Behavioral Approach for Students with Autism Spectrum Disorder presented by Dr. Christine O’Rourke-Lang, Ph.D., BCBA-D
Dr. Christine O’Rourke-Lang received her Ph.D. in Behavior Analysis from Columbia University and has been a Board Certified Behavior Analyst and Special Educator for over 10 years.  She specializes in working with individuals with autism spectrum disorder and has extensive experience across broad age ranges and developmental levels.  She provides consultation to schools and families, delivers trainings and workshops, as well as gives presentations locally, nationally, and internationally.  Dr. Lang is the chairperson of the Special Education Department at Mercy College and is also the director of the Program in Applied Behavior Analysis.

This interactive presentation focuses on evidence-based strategies that can be implemented within a counseling context in order to establish social skill repertoires in children with autism spectrum disorder.  The methods discussed are based upon the principles and tactics associated with Applied Behavior Analysis and topics that will be addressed range from teaching pro-social behaviors to functional communication skills and pragmatics.

In My Mind presented by Alex Olinkiewicz.
“Hi! My name is Alex Olinkiewicz. I was born, raised and went to the Shelter Island School, Long Island, New York. I’m a young adult diagnosed with Asperger’s from infancy. My successful YouTube video, IN MY MIND, with over 1,400,000 views, has inspired me to write about my journey through life dealing with Asperger's/Autism. My book has been taken over by Future Horizons, a national publishing company which specializes in Autism. I want to share my experiences and most importantly my message, so that I and people like myself with Asperger's will be treated as equals, and calmly given more respect, and not considered as just plain odd people who want to get their way. And if so, I will be able to help parents and fellow travelers. Then, I’ll finally be understood, and have a break once in a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment